Old 07-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #431
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I don't like the rear styling, but there's a lot to like. It's nice that they seemed to have maxed out the potential from the pushrod V8 from the factory.

I love mid-engined cars, but there's a problem I see here...the C7 is lighter, and has essentially the same engine. You can put stage 1 cams in the C7 and you have a faster car than this maybe except right off the line where the rear heavy C8 will hook up better. You can give the C7 more rear bias and lower yaw moment with strategic weight reduction.
I think the problem was that the Camaro with the same engine was doing almost as well as the Corvette. Some of that was the Camaro had more front area for cooling and some might have been more weight for traction at times when traction was more important that cornering. GM doesn't need two FR setups with IRS that are about track times, even if the rear mounted transmission was unique to the Corvette or the body was lighter and more exotic. This really differentiates the two cars, and there will be considerable track benefits to a MR setup and considerable traction benefits to having the engine over the rear wheels. The car will feel different and respond differently. It has stepped up a class.
Dadhawk (07-21-2019), why? (07-20-2019)