View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #59
qqfob

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have seen failed Cosworth STi blocks. But everytime i ask myself the same question, are these parts being used correctly. I've seen failed timing gear, poor tuning, and engine over heating, any of which can cause a failure in anything less than a 2jz. Broken cams? when you run spring rates at double or even triple the pressure, expect failure. Someone needs to take the blame.

I never liked the idea of mixing different companies' parts. People tend to think if you put one low rpm component with one high rpm component from a different company, you get the best of both worlds. If I upgrade something as big as an engine, I go with one company. Same with aero and brakes.

If you want to push for max power, expect failure. I highly doubt Cosworth is going for max power in the name of longevity. I would not expect a company like this to and I wouldn't buy their parts if they did have any chance of a engine failure at less than 100k miles. And you can see why Cosworth has chosen this new tuning path of stages, just to make sure nobody jumps the gun on the s/c before proper exhaust mods are made.

One last thing, if you haven't noticed yet, there are essentially two FT86 worlds, and i don't mean BRZ vs FRS, what i mean is...
owners who bought the car because it cost ONLY 25k, and has nothing but complaints because Toyota/Subaru couldn't give them extra power, etc.
or
owners who purchased a 50k car, at a 25k price bargain, with room to spare to make the car however they want.

Tetsuya Tada himself told you the car is not finished. dump your money into it.
qqfob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qqfob For This Useful Post:
86 Dreams (03-05-2015), duder (11-05-2014), ill86 (11-12-2014), Superhatch (12-27-2014)