Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #13
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
I'm just trying to figure out why I need a clear view of a car that is two lanes away from me with another car in between acting as a buffer. Also wondering how looking over my shoulder will give me xray vision to see through said car. I guess I'm supposed to look through it's windows to plan my next 3 moves in advance?
The diagram is to show what you can see and what you can't, not to assume that there's always a car conveniently located in the next lane to keep you from moving over. If you take the diagram in the context of this thread, it might make more sense.

There are three situations in which this comes into play for me:

When I'm in the right lane on a three-lane freeway and want to take the center lane. Sometimes there will be someone pacing me in the far left lane in the blind spot. If that person tries to take the center lane at the same time I do, a collision could result.

When I'm on an entrance ramp, attempting to merge into traffic. Because the ramp doesn't begin right next to the travel lane, someone in the travel lane could be in the blind spot and suddenly appear in my properly-adjusted mirrors when I'm right alongside him. At that point my options are more limited than if I had seen him before reaching that point in the acceleration lane.

When I'm in the far left travel lane and someone is approaching in an entrance ramp from the left. We have those here, and people tend to just blow right out into traffic without looking. It's bad enough to have them suddenly appear out of the blind spot into my properly-adjusted mirrors, but it's worse when they just blast into my lane with no regard for life or property.

All of these situations require looking over the shoulder rather than relying on properly-adjusted mirrors that still leave a huge fucking cone of blindness out the driver's side of the vehicle. Does that explanation work for you?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote