Old 03-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
News flash - this just in: "Tesla Tells California DMV that Full Self Driving Is Not Capable of Autonomous Driving"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/am...-self-driving/

I’m astonished that Tesla has’t been either sued by consumers, or investigated by the NHTSA, for it’s claims.

First they call their glorified cruise control “Auto Pilot”, which implies to consumers that they can sleep or have sex while the car drives itself.

Let's be real. Regardless of what the 'fine print' says, most people don't read owner's manuals. When they hear something is called "Auto Pilot", they think the car can drive itself. Because that's what they want to believe. As a result, numerous accidents have happened with people doing inappropriate things with their cars. Just peruse youtube if you want to be amused, entertained, and horrified.

Now they bring out a version called “Full Self Driving”. Except that it isn't.

The reality is that both AutoPilot, and FSD, are SAE Level 2. Not Level 5, which would be true 'full self driving'. Nor even Level 4, or Level 3. They are Level 2. Which, according to the SAE, means:

"You are driving. You must constantly supervisethese support features. You must steer, brake, or accelerate as needed to maintain safety".

I guess Tesla wasn't happy with how many people mistakenly believed their 'AutoPilot' was full self driving but it isn't, so they're revising the name to 'Full Self Driving' which also isn't any more than 'AutoPilot' wasn't.

I don't know what's more appalling. Tesla making such blatantly false and misleading claims, or that the NHTSA hasn't stopped them from doing this, or the gullibility and stupidity of Tesla buyers who believe this nonsense.

It's one thing to be a 'pioneer' and on the 'cutting edge' of developing new technologies that need to be refined and advanced, etc. etc. etc. But flagrantly lying about it to deceive people is a whole different matter. Especially when doing so can get them hurt. Or killed.

The big print giveth (misleading names) and the small print taketh away (details no one reads). But in the process, people are going to die when their not-really-self-driving car plows into something.

Someday, if the human race survives into the far future (questionable), people might look back and really call this time The Stupid Ages (for soooo many reasons). But then, as is attributed to Henry Louis Mencken, “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Or the very perceptive Phineas Taylor Barnum, “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

Mmmm... I see your points, but this is on par with marketing everywhere. Lies are a relative thing in that domain. The point that people will die due to his marketing claims - well Tesla doesn't claim that you can sleep or have sex while driving his cars. They've always been clear on what exactly you have to do and place measures (i.e. touching the steering wheel) that you should abide by. Do people do stupid things and get into trouble? Sure. Do people do stupid things that get themselves killed in 'normal' cars? Absolutely. On a much larger scale than any stat to do with Tesla cars. To drive innovation like he's doing, you have to forge ahead, and probably make some aggressive claims at times. It's the reality of competition these days. I'm not a fan of Tesla cars overall (I'm not an electric car person in general, yet), but you have to recognize the overall change/acceleration Tesla is driving forward.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-12-2021)