soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Let's be real. Regardless of what the 'fine print' says, most people don't read owner's manuals. When they hear something is called "Auto Pilot", they think the car can drive itself. Because that's what they want to believe. As a result, numerous accidents have happened with people doing inappropriate things with their cars. Just peruse youtube if you want to be amused, entertained, and horrified.
it's funny to me now, but literally every car blog article about 'autopilot' turns into this debate. i've been called out a number of different names for raising the same point.

apparently, according to what other commentors have told me, as a human being, we are all born with the full expectation and training to understand aviation computer systems, their limitations, and the terminology that accompanies them. because of this, 'autopilot' is a completely acceptable term because the pilot can't walk away from the system.

i've learned more about aviation systems in the last 10 years then i ever thought i would.

up until tesla existed, this was everything i knew about auto pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Now they bring out a version called “Full Self Driving”. Except that it isn't.

The reality is that both AutoPilot, and FSD, are SAE Level 2. Not Level 5, which would be true 'full self driving'. Nor even Level 4, or Level 3. They are Level 2. Which, according to the SAE, means:

"You are driving. You must constantly supervisethese support features. You must steer, brake, or accelerate as needed to maintain safety".

I guess Tesla wasn't happy with how many people mistakenly believed their 'AutoPilot' was full self driving but it isn't, so they're revising the name to 'Full Self Driving' which also isn't any more than 'AutoPilot' wasn't.
again, most people seem to disagree with me, but i'm almost entirely convinced that we won't see fully-self-driving vehicles within our lifetimes. i believe we'll be perpetually stuck at level 2 or 3 for a very long time. it comes down to liability.

after seeing how much of a fiasco the other OEM's besides tesla have turned charging networks into a problem by issuing statements that their company builds vehicles only, and they refuse to invest in the charging networks, despite the fact that ev's can't exist without a somewhat robust charging network... these companies can't even admit that their products can't exist without a propulsion resupply network.

level 5 would require that these same companies, that can barely admit to having to re-supply a propulsion source to the vehicle, would become fully liable for anything that happens after the vehicle leaves their factory.

to do this would need to upend the entire vehicle industry as we know it.

because the companies are now liable, individual vehicle ownership would no longer be desirable to them (can't have individuals not maintaining a product that the company is liable for!). this destroys the entire dealership and sales network they've already established. so we'd start looking at fleet vehicles by #brands, and taxi type services.

because of that, individual insurance would take on an entirely different meaning-- likely group policies that are supported by the #brands. there'd be no reason for an individual to have an automotive insurance policy for a 'taxi ride'.

but the biggest difference in all of this is that a large part the american economy and social status system is tied somewhat closely to our vehicle brands, costs, freedom of movement, and vehicle ownership status. because level 5 would ultimately eliminate personal vehicle ownership, someone's status would need to be redefined through methods outside of the vehicle they pull up in. this will likely be somewhat adjusted to with taxi services similar to uber black, but because people could no longer have multiple high end cars, vehicles are no longer the status symbol they are now...

of course, the tesla fanatics have told me i'm wrong on all of this repeatedly, and musk will save us all! [likely from himself the way things are going, but they leave that part out because it's got negative connotations]
Jordanwolf (03-18-2021), NWFRS (03-13-2021)