Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Really enjoyed Part 1. I think you really captured the spirit of both projects/cars and highlighted what makes these cars special, and what the drawbacks are.

Loved the discussion around the throttle cable vs a computer controlling your throttle response. I am shopping for a third fun car right now (Miata/S2K) and this is something I have noticed when test driving these older cars. They just make you feel more connected to the car. I drove a 1995 Miata R two weeks ago that has manual steering and it was such a blast. My wife would hate it, and it is not something I would want to daily drive, but there is so much direct feedback...
Glad it worked.
It's pretty clear we are in an age where designers and engineers are obsessed with having ecu control over everything, windows, doors, switches etc.

Steer by wire and brake by wire are next. The older Miatas are definitely as most manual as you can get of any moder sporty car. Direct feeback is something missing now, and almost off when you feel it again. Miata Manual steering racks, no ABS even in the older ones makes from some very fun driving assuming you are not stuck in traffic with goats.