Old 04-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #416
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The current one looks being "on stilts", because of the limited suspension travel. I don't think they solved the issue on the new ones.
No reason they couldn't have. Ferinstance the Bilstein B8 struts on my car have *way* more bump travel than the factory PP/Sachs struts. I'd bet at least 25mm. To my eye, the new car looks lower. I'm guessing that they just lowered the car some amount, perhaps 0.4" perhaps a bit less. It *is* technically feasible to do this (carmakers have differing ride heights between versions of the same car all the time), and it accounts for: lower overall height, lower c.g. height, with the same headroom, and what looks to me like lower front fenders relative to wheels. Occam's razor...

Quote:
They can praise how the suspension is *better*, but whatever they use ... Sachs, Showa, KYB, they are all made under the same strict "general maintenance schedule" and cost guidelines of a production car so I wouldn't consider it better.
So, progress is never possible? Of course it *is* possible to make improvements at the same cost and maintenance schedules, etc.

Quote:
They'll be just a little different, but not to an extent a true performance driver will call it outside the PR talks, a performance suspension. They will be all twin tube as mono-tube are too expensive to equip on a $25,000 range car.
And it is possible to improve further on the twintubes on the current car. The Sachs in particular could be retuned for less harsh high-speed compression damping and it wouldn't cast them anything.

But anyway, Monotube Bilsteins cost me $800. That would probably be a $200-$400 cost for Subaru. Could easily fold it in with new-model "upgrade" price increase, or into a new Performance Package for short $$$.

But *anyway*, getting back to ride height, the cost associated with specifying greater bump travel in the updated suspension wouldn't/shouldn't have cost them much if anything.

Quote:
I am happy with my BRZ right now, and it is so customizable that it really isn't about how it comes new, or shortcomings. It is about fun of making it over a long period of ownership. But for people who want new and pride of having something new and not change anything, or for people who will join in near future the platform maybe the new one is worth the wait.
It's an odd point you're making here, are you suggesting the new one won't be as customizable as yours? Why not? Personally "new" and "pride of having something new" doesn't mean much to me. But 2.4 liters, +20% more torque average over the powerband, +30% at the torque dip (not that that's a major gripe for me) and +11% more peak power, and slightly increased rev limit, all those things strongly appeal to me. If and when I get one I'm sure I'll do pretty much the same mods I've done to my '17.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote