View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymuffler View Post
I remember seeing a thread where someone made a custom hydraulic throw out bearing setup specifically for the FT86 transmission. I don't know what ever came of it. I wonder what the long term reliability would be like.
Looks like they ended up making it, but it’s currently sold out and I’m unsure if they’ll make more. I can’t imagine they made/sold too many, considering the $600 price tag.

Do you hear any noises when your clutch is fully pressed to the floor when you are sitting at a stop light?

Another part of interest to look at is the “snout” that the TOB sits on. I think it’s connected to the Transmission input shaft bearing, and if that’s out of whack that could cause TOB wear, but you’d hear it rattling around in neutral...

Good luck though, I’m at 155k miles and on my 2nd Exedy clutch. OEM lasted 70k until failure/explosion, and I replaced my replacement Exedy clutch at 130k because I was hearing noises and just didn’t want to deal with another failure. My current Exedy setup has the updated TOB and Verus clutch fork and things have been great so far.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote