View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #7
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terboboost View Post
There's no way to specifically set wheel braking vs power cut. But FYI, the power cut is the throttle body closing.

Important to note here, there is a difference between "traction control" and "stability control". Some manufacturers call it differently, but generally the same. Traction control, controls/prevents wheel spin only. Stability control, prevents/controls vehicle yaw (understeer and over steer). Traction control mostly relies on cutting engine power, while stability control mostly relies on individual wheel braking.

"SS Off" I think you mean the little car with tire marks behind it?

press the left button, the TRAC OFF light comes on- Turns off traction control, you can do burnouts, but not drift.
press and hold the left button, the TRAC OFF light and the SS OFF lights come on- Turns off traction and stability...but not really, only mostly.
press the right button, the VSC SPORT light comes on- reduces traction and stability control for track situations where you want to allow for more under/over steer and tire slip, but still want the computer to help control the vehicle dynamics.
If I press both buttons, the TRAC OFF, SS OFF and VSC SPORT lights.- reduces stability control and traction control off.

Sounds like you just want TRAC OFF, which will reduce the chances of having power cut when you spin the wheels.

Also keep in mind there is an e-diff braking function. Our cars are equipped with a helical type limited slip differential, so that the torque is split to provide more torque to the wheel with the most traction. However, one downfall of the helical LSD is if one tire has near zero friction (ice, lifting a wheel, etc), the torque biasing fails, and the differential acts like an open differential (the wheel with the least grip gets all the power). The e-diff monitors for this condition and applies a small braking force to the wheel with near zero friction, so that there is some friction, and the differential operates appropriately. This function is always activated unless you do the pedal dance.
Sounds like TRAC OFF is the way to go. I'll try it out in an empty parking lot next time it rains.
That's how I tested it before. I pressed and held the left button. Then in second gear I punched it and whipped the wheel and the car started spinning like a top. There was one street light I was rapidly spinning towards with the brakes locked. Stopped within inches of the pole.
I tried it again with everything on and couldn't even get the car to slide. Works great but boring.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote