View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #1396
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As far as the C8 comparison, it is certainly a car that requires a hard look if it can actually deliver on a 60k pricetag. I'd consider it solely to bleed GM dry if you can roll off a dealer lot at 60k. That said, there's a few issues to consider:

1-The Supra is already available for 10-12k less even if GM keeps to the magic 60k figure which seems a bit dubious tbh. Though GM has basically come out saying they are gonna take a bath on the entry level vettes in not so few words. So we're actually talking almost a 25% cost differential. That said, 60k for what the C8 is offering is amazing value as it's going for the 911s and Italian stuff.

2-Handling. I love my MR layouts, but.....three problems here. First, the C8 is a big ass car lengthwise, so you got lots of polar stuff to worry about which is compounded with...second, long ass wheelbase. Therefore that turn in responsiveness and agility isn't going to be as good as the Supra. Yeah it improves on the C7, but what doesn't really. Third, it's going to be heavier than the Supra. 3400lbs for dry weight! So figure somewhere between 3500-3600lbs.

3-DCT-DCTs rock when done right, but there is a reason BMW and others have said they are abandoning it. They are bigger packages that weigh more than the latest quick shifting autos. That said, I don't want to take away from GM here for actually making progress on something for once.

4-I do think the C8 is overall a bit fugly. It's got more origami and angles on it than a Gundam. That interior layout is an eyesore and the quality still seems to be lacking though steadily improving over the C7.

5-Let's not pretend the C8 has cargo space like a proper hatch does. Even compared to the 86. You aren't taking anything home from Home Depot or IKEA in a C8.

I once made a point that for the price of a 911, you could get the Supra and an Alpine (outside the US). Well, now you can get a Supra and a C8 for the same money. Imagine seeing those two in your garage every night.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (07-28-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (07-28-2019)