View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #138
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Look, I don't know anything about the actual dispute between WORKS and TachyonBomb and won't comment too much about that. But I do want to address the points made about racism and unprofessionalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic23 View Post
One thing that does bother me considerably is TachyonBomb's/xtra_slw's unashamed racism and unprofessionalism on Instagram. I'm not Asian or a minority but this is completely unacceptable, repulsive and goes way beyond some unemployed kid with money problems with way too much time on his hands.
Racists have no place in our cherished car community and this alone makes me question his character.
Thank you for saying what I think many of us were thinking but didn't say. When I first saw TachyonBomb's IG post I was immediately put off by what I felt was offensive and childish. And like you said, regardless of whether he was in the right in this dispute, it made me question his judgment and his credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
Not Asian or a minority but the entitlemen to speak on their behalf was just boiling over lol.

It was a more of a Foghorn Leghorn southern reference. But since a couple of millennials have no clue about any cartoon characters before sponge bob or the 90's a hand full of youngsters took it as racist.

Think shady southern used car sales man.

If an Chinese accent came up in your inner monologue while reading that meme, then it more so speaks to you and how you box in races. Comedy/satire is an art and you got challenged by it.

I highly suggest you stay away from stand up comics like Richard Pryor, Bill Maher or Dave Chappelle if loose language easily offends you.
OK, so now I'm an Asian-American, a minority, and a non-millennial who is probably older than you. I remember Foghorn Leghorn pretty clearly. And when I saw a photo of an Asian man (presumably it's Peter Kang), along with the caption "Herro", no I did not read it as a Foghorn Leghorn reference. I don't know how anyone would see an image of an Asian man, see the word "Herro", and make that connection to a Southern reference. I read it immediately as a racist caricature of an Asian man. To me, it reminded me of the portrayal of Kim Jong Il from "Team America". Which don't get me wrong, was a hilarious movie ... but that didn't change the fact that it was a racist portrayal of an Asian. And that offended me on some level. Not because I'm easily offended, but because as a minority, I've experienced racism first hand. I've had people mock me based on how I look, making fun of my race, using bad accents to 'impersonate' me or my ethnicity even though I speak perfectly good English. And throwaway comments like yours reopen a wound that maybe has not entirely healed.

You can play it off as a lighthearted attempt at humor or satire, but I wanted to tell you that from my perspective it fell flat, was offensive, and made you lose credibility. Up until that moment, I was on your side, having been in a similar situation where I turned my car over to a company, hoping to help them out in developing a product, and my car ended up damaged and the company was unwilling to take responsibility for it. You had in my mind a winning case, you just needed to present your facts and win. But your IG post showed a vindictive, immature, unprofessional side that turned me off. Tell me this, would you have presented that image in court to the judge? Did you think it would help you win the case? I don't think so, and you know that too.

TL;DR version -- you think you're being funny but you just ended up pissing off or offending some people. Maybe you don't care. Maybe you didn't see it as being so offensive and don't understand why it would be. But I'm telling you, in the hopes that you realize that what you said/did in some small way had a negative effect and maybe you will learn something for your future interactions with people.
CSG Mike (07-24-2019), DandoX (07-24-2019), EAGLE5 (07-24-2019), finch1750 (07-29-2019), ImADuck (07-25-2019), Kushkaki (07-24-2019), Pwolf (07-25-2019), Slammillionaire (08-07-2019), spike021 (07-24-2019), TachyonBomb (07-24-2019), TooSlow (07-25-2019), YamahaR86 (08-14-2019)