View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 02:39 AM   #94
rixter145
Sleep Chomper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi all,

Giving a write up on the recent rocker retainer clip breaking. Two months ago, I found out that my exhaust cams were not moving while the car was warmed up. After some head scratching, we pulled the sensor out and low and behold, we found this sheared out retainer kit.

Alarmed, I immediately reached out to Denstoj auto and they were extremely quick to send me a kit of their bespoke drop-in replacements.

We then started taking out the engine and started checking all the rockers to see if there were more cracked/sheared retainers. Well, I will let the other pictures speak for itself:

As the mechanic who is working on installing the new bespoke pivot & retainers, he noted in the following documentation, which ones were cracked.

Note that cyl #2 front and cyl#4 rear cams were actually out of tolerance spec, but only one of them cracked. Upon installing the new pivots, my mechanic ensured everything was properly shimmed and my engine was good to go again.

Meanwhile, Denstoj has requested me to send back the cracked retainers for investigation and here is what they hypothesize:

I suspect during installation the rocker retainer clip has been stretched as it’s been pulled on and off multiple times.

The clip need to be very tight on the rocker. If left loose the lower part of the clip is in contact with the pivot shoulder and can be damaged throughout the range of operation.

During normal operation if installed correctly the clip will not have any load or wear. It is only in the event of a rocker dislodgement that the clip “catches” the rocker.

Check out my video on the installation of the clip to the rocker arm -

FA20 Engine Installation of Rocker Retainer Kit - Clip Fitment:

I have inspected all of the clips and only some have damage on the lower side and have been over stressed.

I want to point out that the shop that installed my retainers the first time was not my current mechanic and it is possible that the installation was not done correctly.

I also want to thank Denstoj for being super apologetic and accommodating in resolving this issue with high urgency. Such customer service is hard to come by nowadays and it is a breath of relief that they care about producing a product that works.
rixter145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rixter145 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (08-11-2021), DarkPira7e (08-11-2021), Jdmjunkie (08-11-2021), NoHaveMSG (08-11-2021), soundman98 (08-11-2021)