Old 06-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #43
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My excerpt was directly from the FRS manual. Apparently at least the engineers that wrote it think it cares.
I see nothing in your quote to indicate that the Torsen will be adversely affected. It cannot be. The operation of the will be unaffected by the use of the space saver spare. The handling of the vehicle will be, which is why the space saver should be fitted to a front axle, especially on a rwd vehicle. The space saver cannot develop as much traction as the stock tire, in any direction, obviously.

I have not bothered to calculate the difference in rolling circumference, if any, between the space saver spare and the stock tire size but the list of items affected would indicate there may be a slight size difference.

Those provisions were more likely written by lawyers than by engineers, just btw.

From an engineering perspective a Torsen is not a limited slip differential, it is a torque biasing differential, as you would quickly discover if you ever drove with traction control switched off. If you have traction control on the Torsen has nothing to do.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote