Old 11-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBRZ View Post
Hey Joe, I ran them for 1 year and for about 25 track days. In my left front LCA, one of the rod ends broke off. The one at the farther out position which is logical as it is the one that receives more torque. The fracture indicates a shear moment and it was definitely gradual. I did not have any previous signs of fatigue and I actually did not have any excursions through the life of these LCA's in my car, luckily (I have had my fair share of farming activities at the track for sure). I do use the track curbing a lot but not when it is rough and upsets the chassis. I do not really want to worry you or anybody with this but since you have them, check them before every event. I checked them only for my torque alignment marks and I am not sure I would have found anything in the rod ends but it is worth to look at them with more care perhaps looking for small hairline cracks on the rod ends. I really like these SPL control arms but I was not lucky with mine and I think they had some material defect that gradually fatigued and broke off. The rest of the control arm and the right one were perfect. As you suggested, replace the rod ends at some interval. The sad part is that you will need alignment after replacing them. Check your HEIM joints also, they wear out fast. Best of luck.
So from my research. The AP Racing Sprint have 295 mm rotors. Stoptech have 325mm. How the heck do you rub? Maybe the offset of the rotor? I found someone that have stoptech and added the whiteline ball joint (before it got discontinued) that basically does the same thing the Buddy Club does and he didnt rub... and buddy club is just stock LCA with their ball joint.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote