View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #15
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
With the Shrader kit the overall weight savings is 23 pounds according to them. Based on my own weighing of components going in and out in the process, I think it's closer to 30 pounds. It's not a huge amount, but I like the effect of having a true 2-seater, which is how all sports cars should be IMHO

Installation is pretty simple. One component I added was to use an Instapak Quick RT #80 under each rear seat basin covering panel to give it more structural rigidity (which it needs) and to add additional NVH reduction. According to another thread on this kit the #100 is the proper size to fully fill it in, but the #80 seems to have worked okay as well. All in all, the noise level is roughly the same as it is with the car stock, but the cabin feels more cozy and it makes it easier to put more stuff in the vehicle with the trunk panel removed compared to folding down the rear seats. Also, yes, you can remove the trunk panel or lay it flat and use the extra space for storage just like with the rear seat backs folded down.

Personally I did the mod about 80% because I thought the rear seats were pointless and I prefer sports cars to be 2-seaters, 10% for the weight savings, and 10% for looks. It's up to you whether it's something you're interested in, but ~30 pounds isn't a huge amount of weight savings for ~$300 and an afternoon of work. On the flip side, it's weight savings that doesn't mess up the appearance or comfort level of the car like stripping out the interior normally would.
I agree with you. Just the BRZ being my only car I feel like having the back seats for emergency cases is just too hard to pass up for just 30 pounds and 300 missing from my wallet. If I had another car I would do this mod in a heart beat I mostly agree with your ethos. The kit does look clean!
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
Tristor (03-19-2018)