Old 12-31-2022, 03:44 PM   #8
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
For those smarter than me, what would it take to make a 2022 WRX extremely competitive with a 2023 GR Corolla Core (with front and rear LSDs)?

That's the question that is keeping me up at night lately. All based on the fact that the WRX is available right now all across the country for under $32K if you go with a base model, or even $34K if you get a Premium model.

I don't care about any appearance modifications. That's already a given.
Stock GR MSRP vs modified WRX: for off-road rallying, you probably need to invest more money than a GR at MSRP because the AWD system on the GR is so much better, as well as brakes and the rest; for track on dry tarmac, maybe less than the difference, if you could swing a tune, larger brakes, track pads and track tires; for street, most likely less because then you just need a few power upgrades. If the MSRP on the Corolla explodes then that could change things a lot for a price comparison.

Modified vs modified, that changes a lot. The GR Corolla has a stout engine, and it is probably more proven than the FA24F, but apparently the rods on this FA24F are significantly more stout than the FA20F, so the FA24F might have similar potential for torque before needing a built motor. The FA24F has a significant displacement advantage for a broader torque curve, so for the street where traction and handling and weight are less of an issue versus off-road and track, the WRX would probably do better dollar for dollar. At 10/10ths and off-roading, the GR will probably always be better at equal investment.
DarkPira7e (12-31-2022), drivejumpfly (01-04-2023), NoHaveMSG (12-31-2022)