View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #73
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
I think while there might be some Subaru fans around who see some kind of kindred spirit between the BRZ and the Impreza, there are likely more of us who see them as diametrically opposed, the Impreza being a massive tank of a car that really doesn't go anywhere near the sports car idea other than the fact that it has lots of horsepower. You could go the same way and suggest that the Corvette is similar to the Impala, when I think most Corvette owners would probably kick your ass for suggesting it.
While I agree that the WRX is very different from the BRZ, to call it a "massive tank of a car" is being a bit hyperbolic, in my opinion. It's a fairly small car, for a 4-door, with a similar curb weight to an A3 or 128i. In fact, it's also a similar curb weight to the corvette, which you seem to think is a fairly light car based on your statements above. For an AWD turbo sedan, its weight is very reasonable. No, it doesn't handle like a BRZ, but it's not exactly a Challenger either. Its suspension tuning could absolutely be improved, without a doubt, and that would help its handling quite a bit (I'm still hoping this will be the case for the 2015 model), but at the end of the day, the two cars are aimed at different markets.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote