Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 AM   #3166
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZer86 View Post
I agree.

The more important point is the sports car segment is definitely a declining segment, so why would Toyota allocate more R&D dollars when they're coming off a 6 year engineering effort to further pass the twins' spec sheet (i.e. lower center of gravity than the twins).

The rebuttal to my statement above is, the rumors from April stating that Subaru and Toyota are moving forward with the next gen BRZ/GT86. So as long as Toyota/BMW/Subaru can keep finding partners to split the R&D bill, then we can keep expecting to see the revival of a dying breed.

#SaveTheManual
So, let's assume we are both correct and have these assumptions:

1. The FT86 designation was not a mistake on the transmission document.
2. Toyota will not have more than 2 sports cars.
3. There will be a next gen 86 in 2021 as the rumor says.
4. Tada stated that you need a different chassis on the current 86 to handle more power properly.
5. There will be a 4 cyl Supra.
6. Subaru will continue the emphasis on 4WD family vehicles.

Furthermore, let's assume all of these points are true. Deductively, I can think of only solution where this is the case: There is a 6 cyl Supra and a 4 cyl 86 based on the Supra chassis. Then it would make sense to have the transmissions made by the same company. Which 4 cyl engine? BMW or Subaru? I don't have a clue. Subaru could then concentrate on their growth segment and not have to produce a low volume sports car, but could benefit from a BRZ made with the new chassis. Toyota could then profitably develop one basic sports car with two personalities.

Before all of you jump on this, this is pure deductive logic. There may be other scenarios where all of the above assumptions are true, but I haven't been able to come up with one. I just don't think the FT86 designation on the transmission document was a mistake -- but that is always possible. And I can't see a public company like Toyota make the financial decision to have 3 cars in a declining segment as that would not be fiscally responsible -- and they do have a legal fiduciary responsibility to shareholders to make the most money they can....

I guess we will find out the truth in a couple of years....