Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
@HachiRokuX - can't quote you for some reason

So many people get mad at me when I say that much of the Supra/2JZ mystic is from video games and movies but why else would a bunch of 20 something's have such a love affair with a car most have never even seen in person much less actually drove?

Even Toyota recognized this condition when they made the formal announcement that the FT1 would indeed be called the Supra.

"The Toyota Supra still enjoys an iconic status among sports car aficionados, 16 years on from the end of production. Its enduring popularity has been helped by its success as a popular model in the Gran Turismo® driving simulator video game series, which is only playable on PlayStation consoles, and as a starring car in the first film in The Fast and the Furious global action movie series."
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ng+concept.htm

They know who they are targeting with this car and it may not be the group that can actually afford it.
I owned a MK4 Turbo from 2004 to 2010 and went through the whole 'supraforums' lifestyle. I would say a big part of it's popularity was it's modability. The fact that an exhaust, an increase in boost and a better air filter could net big gains and the fact that aftermarket part options were plentiful and not too expensive. I liked the car mostly because of Gran Turismo 2 and I won't lie, I was 15 when Fast and the Furious hit theatres and that was also a big part of me wanting one.

I ended up putting a Garret t04Z on mine and making really good power, but at that point tyres started becoming really expensive and traction was a cross your fingers and hope for the best affair. The Supra was basically a cruise missile, you pointed it and fired and got shoved into the back of your seat. It wasn't awful in the corners, but it was definitely more of a GT car. The big cast iron block up front made sure of that.

At the end of the day I feel much more confident pushing a 1250 car through twisty roads than I did the almost 1600kg Supra. I didn't sell it because I was unsatisfied with it, I really enjoyed it. I sold it to make a prudent life decision and pay a big chunk for my Masters course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-25-2018)