Old 01-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #592
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
That's great that they are able to make it work, but the government should not be allowed to deny those who want to meet in person, that's all I'm saying. That's probably why the Supreme Court determined that states cannot implement stricter regulations on religious institutions and I'm glad they came to that conclusion.

My claims apply to much more than just church, I'm talking about private family gatherings, in person schools, outdoor/indoor dining, etc. People will look back at this time period and be ashamed of how much they were willing to sacrifice for a false sense of safety. That's just my personal opinion.

PS: Moderators I apologize if this comment was borderline political, I did not intend for it to be taken as such and won't go any further. I only mentioned the Supreme Court as a backing for my claim.
I think some of these points just don't make much sense to be honest. Private family gatherings have been ok at different periods with limited numbers of households. Through the whole summer I was having almost bi-weekly weekend lunches with my parents at parks and stuff outdoors in a nice environment. Physically distanced enough and outdoors to be safe, but still in each other's company. And it was actually nice.

As far as in person schooling vs remote learning, in the end I think that's more on our education system not being prepared, nor having proper tooling in place for this kind of situation. If a hurricane or severe earthquake decimates a neighborhood/community and it's not possible to go to a school campus for 3-6 months while it's being rebuilt, but internet is back and available much sooner than that, we should have resources available to allow mostly equivalent learning experiences. It'd be a very similar situation.

Nothing here is permanent, and because of what you said about the Supreme Court, there's no worry about even precedent being set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Strictly speaking, at least from a Christian standpoint and my interpretation, worship does not require a physical building but worship is considered a group activity. Worship is a celebration in song and may include teachings.

Prayer, which is different, is considered a private activity

Matthew 6:6

But you, when you pray, enter into your inner
chamber, and having shut your door, pray to
your Father who is in secret, and your Father
who sees in secret will reward you openly.
Yep! I understand that!

Like I've said though, I've actually seen friends/relatives attending over Zoom or whatever video conference being used. They still do their 10-15 minutes of worship before the sermon begins, the in-service prayer still happens. Maybe they can't physically hear other people on the stream singing, but that doesn't mean they aren't singing. (besides, I've been to church services where even in-person not everybody is singing in worship ).

Nobody is saying this needs to be permanent, but I think in many cases for what we're dealing with it's a pretty suitable alternative.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage