View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 AM   #27
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I actually don't know what changes the feel of oil so I know I'm not gonna be able to convince you that I can feel the oil getting old. Usually 1 oil change for me is about 2 trips to cali to track or mountain passes + some driving in town.

I think this is really a prospective issue.

To me the possible reasons for oil feeling old are

1. Dirt, I live in Vegas, there is a huge amount of dirt. I can pop any interior panel open and there is gonna be a layer of dirt/very fine dust. Ya, Nevada & South Cali........ tumbleweed & dust devil. I'm sure my engine sucks in a ton.

2. Heat Cycling the oil? Usually for me to go to track means 8 hours round trip to Cali track plus another 8 hours on track, so 16 hours of straight driving. I usually do this or just simply enjoy my time doing canyon runs within the first 2000 miles after I change my oil.

I'm kind hard on my car while I'm on certain roads, I don't really shift till redline & does tons of engine braking for the entire length I'm on that section of the road.
I drove the entire section of Mt. Hamilton HW130 staying near redline. *Humfrz you said you love that road.

PS:* Most of the time I only drive 5 miles over speed limit on public highway & I don't race others..... >___> If i encounter someone on those mt pass i slow down and build space till i can have a go again.

PSPS: I'm not counting metal shavings in oil cuz i have magnetic oil filter and drain plug.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-22-2018)