Old 05-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Well I have bought a car with 225k on the chassis in Portland, OR and drove it back to Tampa, FL soooo I might not be the best one to listen to in general! haha (and that car is still worth more than all my 86s... )

But what makes it a bad value? If you can get the car for 30-40% less than a clean title example, with the understanding that it'll always be 30-40% less valuable, then you can get a better car for less. I don't mean one that has had two cars welded into one, like so many Miami FL rebuilds are known for, but one that just needs a few front end parts etc?

The worst part of it's value is insurance. It costs the same but pays out less. That part does suck - no question. That's why I self insure comp/collision on mine......

But to put it this way, would you buy a lightly hit but fixed (with documented repairs/parts/etc) car with 60k miles or clean title example with 120k for the same price? Assume both are maintained, etc.

But whatever I have both a clean title AND a rebuilt title car for sale for the OP!!! hahaha
I didn't say it was bad value I said it was the worst option in the value chain. You yourself explained why. I was not speaking to quality.

I would buy the clean title car wit the assumption that they are the same quality. Mileage is the last consideration in my list. There are some great 100K cars and some beat to shit 10K ones.