why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Toyota did not have to design a new engine for the Supra. They have plenty of engines that would have fit the bill in the Lexus line. "It is not a Supra without a inline 6 cylinder and a turbo" Yeah, that was what the purist said and what Toyota seems to have believed. Now the automotive world is asking the question, "Is a car that has a BMW drivetrain and all BMW suspension, control and bits still a Supra?"

Well, the Corvette purist said, "The Corvette is a front engine car!" Chevrolet said, "Not any more it isn't. Now, it is a mid-engine, affordable super car challenger!" The plant manager from Bowling Green stated that they started planning and investing to the tune of 755 million USD. to retool to build this car 5 years ago and will soon double their shifts to build it. That is a substantial investment.

Both Toyota and General Motors made a hard choice when they introduced their new models of their most iconic sportscars. Based on what I am reading from virtually every automotive site, I think the automotive world believes that GM made the better choice.
There is absolutely zero comparison. The Corvette will sell at minimum 20,000, but can easily sell 40,000 or more cars per year. The Supra might sell 12,000 a year. Plus GM puts a ton of stock in the Corvette race team, and I am sure part of that budget goes into developing the new car. And when it comes down to it, reasonably specced the Corvette will probably be $20,000 more than a Supra.

Toyota really needs to worry about the Camaro more. It is slowly becoming the bargain track car.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote