KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S.13 View Post
At this point, we just need to be thankful that these cars exist. People are saying it's sacrilege to call the Supra a Toyota because it's built on BMW bones...yet our cars were conceived on the same premise: platform sharing, without which these cars could never exist. You know as well as I that sports cars are an endangered species, and if we don't continue to buy and support them, we'll be talking about them in the past tense.
Somewhat agree, but mostly disagree here.

If there is a silver lining to this, it's that Toyota is now producing MKIV Supra parts again, which can only be a good thing. Even the TRD bodykit for that car was brought back.

However, the difference between the Supra and the 86 is that the latter was made as a standalone car despite its roots. If this were a standalone car, there probably would not have been as much outrage. @Dadhawk put it best - the Supra name carries too much weight and should have been reserved for a car Toyota made themselves, and if that meant no Supra, so be it.

I would even go as far as to say that the 86 is far more of a Toyota than the Supra (what part of the Supra, besides exterior, badging, and possibly suspension, is actually from Toyota, and why would Subaru sell a car that is RWD?). The point here is that the car that received the Supra nameplate is nothing more than a rebadged BMW with suspension tweaks, which gives off the impression that Toyota made little to no effort in bringing back the Supra.

I will say this - I have no opinion of the actual car itself, as I have never driven one. I don't feel I should be as quick to judge the car because of the nameplate it carries. Contrary to what most people think a Supra should be, it's not supposed to be a high-horsepower dyno breaking monster - it's supposed to be a GT car that drives really well and can go against the best of them in its class. This car performs just as well if not better than its predecessors - and even then, like the MKIV before it, is still capable of high horsepower (albeit not as high, but high enough).

This car has its place - it's just that Toyota deserves little, if any, credit for bringing this car to their lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote