View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Phew, you must have gone to a lot of effort to rake that up out of the archives...
That was a long time ago.

However, that's exactly what I believed for a few months, then I smelt a rat...

I always used to track at Midvaal, and fill up at Sasol in Heidelberg. I'd add octane booster and the car would be fine at the track. I'd fill at the same filling station on the way home without booster, and the car would be down on power. I would never have noticed the issue if I didn't one day have to go into Meyerton to fill up because I didn't have enough fuel left to get to Heidelberg - and voila, it was very different. The car seemed 100% OK with booster.

I reckon it was an unethical rural filling station jippo'ing the fuel. I changed to filling at Sasol Secunda and/or Engen Meyerton, and it's been like day and night since.

But, I've got a practical test coming up soon. I need to dyno in January for Leg 1 of the Michelin Cup and that'll be in Gauteng. I won't put octane booster and we'll see what happens. It'll actually be nice if I'm down a few kws cause where I should be (168wkw), puts me in the 160-200wkw class, and I'd like to be in the <160wkw class
Took around 20 sec with the forum search tools.

I had remembered what you said since it rung true from what I had heard from a few other RGM SC 86's - thanks for clearing that up.

The fact that you feel no performance benefit can mean your tune is on-point, a noticeable increase in power as you described would mean there is some work to be done, glad its not the latter.

All the best for Michelin Cup

Last edited by Dammod; 12-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote