strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
So I talked to one of the guys that I ran SSC against last year the other day. From the SSC setup, he added 17x9's, 245 RE71R's, coilovers and plates ( think he said KW's), and swapped to the stock rear bar. Stock power, stock tune.

...and he is decently competitive in his local "pro" class against a lot of national drivers at a site that draws people from across the SE for locals. He won an event this year, too.

So you can go a very long way with coilovers/plates, rear LCA's if you need them to get the alignment right, and a bigger front bar.

From there, you can pick a header/tune, and then do small things as you see fit.
I've chased my tail on alignment, dampers, spring rates, sway bars, tire pressures, ride heights, I've screwed them all up at one time or another on this car and I've always been forced to measure myself against Nationally competitive cars (it's a treat running in this region, almost always an STX, STU, or STR car that has a history of multiple trophies or at least the the talent to get it done).

On the one hand I totally agree, you can get this car really fast without dumping more than a couple thousand bucks into it, coilovers, camber plates, front bar, wheels, tires, header, tune, rlca and you're almost there. I really disagree that you can just slap on any reputable off the shelf coilover kit and do well. Most of them are not designed with STX levels of grip and autocross transitions in mind and will need work to dial in for what we want them to do. There are a lot of pitfalls when building a car for the first time, I fell into a lot of them (hell last event I went too far on a rake adjustment, lost a lot of cornering grip on that one) and mashing together random pieces of advice will take far longer for a newbie to arrive at a conclusion, if they even can with what they bought.

Humans take for granted what we learn doing something for a long time, obvious things to pros like disconnecting sway bars or making sure tire pressure is right when corner balancing is news to rookies. I bet your buddy didn't just slap on a set of KW's: spring changes, ride height, damper changes, alignment didn't magically spring forth from a hunch when he bolted the parts together, there's experience or guidance happening there.

Glad to see more blood joining the class, I've shied away from National events but I'm hoping to make a run at them next year unless life gets in the way.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote