View Single Post
Old 03-12-2024, 09:02 PM   #9
H1C

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
I had a similar issue when I reprogrammed my cluster myself. The issue is the cluster does not like the first/single digit modified for some reason. Don't know why. So what I did was added all the miles drove, made sure it was similar to the original first digit, then change the rest of it.

Example: My mileage was at 56053 on original cluster (2013). The 2017 cluster mileage was at 25069. What I had to do was drive til the original cluster (2013) hit 56059 (so the mileage is accurate in terms of the single digit), then reprogrammed the 2017 to 56059 miles. It has not had an issue til this day. I am at almost 100k miles.

This is very interesting, but I don't think it's the issue with my car. The US cluster's mileage was 93,913 when it came out of the donor car. The mileage that I had programmed into it was 66,133, so the final digit stayed the same on the donor cluster.

But I'm glad to know that the cluster is able to be programmed by someone other than Subaru or Toyota and not have the odometer be frozen as some sort of built-in tamper-proofing fail-safe.

I had the engine ECU and main body ECU from the same donor car installed today at the local Toyota dealer. The odometer is still frozen. The dealer's master tech called Toyota USA's technical department and explained the situation and asked for their advice. They told him that the last thing to try is install what they call the ABS actuator/ABS ECU from a US car.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to get an unmodified Canadian cluster, program the correct mileage in km's, and re-install the Canadian ECUs and ABS actuator.
H1C is offline   Reply With Quote