Old 07-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #24
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
Thank you for the reply. So how is my whp so low relative to tq? I shift at 5k because I am just trying to save the motor from additional wear that comes with FI. So I thought shifting sooner was saving the additional stresses a bit. My WHP and TQ at 5k RPM are about max anyways.

Am I doing it wrong? I'm not used to wringing-out a motor and was just trying to baby it.

This is a custom tune with Robert at Drive Auto in Everett, WA. I would rather leave it how it is since I love the drivability, but I want to keep it in the realm of reliability. I'm ready to buy a new tranny if I have to, but I only have 8k miles on the car haha

ZERO issues so far *knock on wood* I am just trying to be mindful....feel like I might be bordering paranoia now.
@86TOYO2k17 What RPM would you consider "lugging" the engine? 3k or lower? Let's say in 3rd gear.
looks like @alphasaur explained most of this so I wont get into that.

but,

Torque is what kills things not HP and not necessarily RPM (unless valve float or oiling issue which I doubt you have), by short shifting so much you are actually in a meatier part of the torque curve (more torque) and actually stressing engine components more.

Generally people don't recommend going WOT below 4500rpm as the engine doesn't typically like this, especially in higher gears like 3rd+. Short shifting at 5500rpm puts you into unsafe WOT territories once in the following gear.

I have also read things that I don't fully understand essentially saying the time underload is greater at lower RPM and so generating more force (torque) in this circumstance causes more risk and stress on components especially the rods.

IMO by short shifting you are actually accomplishing the opposite of what you are intending to achieve.

Changing the tune wouldn't effect drivability and you would probably enjoy it more, be faster, and be safer simultaneously. I would rather have a slow ramp up of torque to hit a modest peak (200WTQ) at 5000rpm and then flatline that torque to redline, vs having a big mound of torque 4k-6k (225WTQ) with a big drop off 6k+ (185WTQ).

Also I just realized we are basically neighbors (lake Stevens)
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (07-09-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (07-09-2021)