View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #42
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Looks like clickbait to me, 2,100 lbs? Not even Lotus's weigh that little today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sounds like a great Mini Cooper fighter! Unfortunately, I'll believe it when I see it.
If you mean the current 3-cylinder hardtop then yes, they line up almost perfectly on paper per this article.

However I just have to point out that the '14 Mini Cooper S is a Toyobaru fighter.
2,760 lbs to the Toyobaru's 2,800 lbs
189 horses and 207 ft-lbs of turbocharged torque usable at any rpm
Same engine is supposedly going to be tuned up to 230 horses for the JCW and a couple BMW's, wonder how much it would take to bump it up...
0-60 in 6.5 seconds with the MT, 6.4 with the AT (Toyobaru MT 6.2)
23 mpg city, 37 highway
More usable space in back with a hatch and seats folded down (although a bit shorter)
Nicer interior hands down, more space inside
Smoother, quieter, fewer worrisome noises from the engine, transmission, suspension
It starts at $24,950 (vs. current Scion @$25,470) and the dealerships are willing to wheel and deal unlike Scion.

Only downsides I can think of on paper are the FWD, run flat tires, styling, BMW's reliability track record, and of course if you don't like one of the things mentioned above (yeah there's a bit of turbolag). Don't have any regrets on my purchase but the new Mini is a solid contender for practical economical daily driver fun and weekend enthusiast driving.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote