View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #48
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Between my wife and I we have bought 13 new cars over the last 20 years. Not once did I have anything that I would call a hassle. I have had a harder time getting a meal I want at the local greasy spoon. Not exactly sure what sort of things could come up that make it a "hassle" in the first place.
First, I said getting a new car - to be more precise, I should have said changing cars.

Short list of things I find to be a hassle in changing cars:
(1)leg work/research/PIA of finding a new car at an agreeable price;
(2)leg work/research/PIA of selling my old car at an agreeable price;
(3)back when I used to finance, leg work/research/PIA of finding financing at an agreeable price;
(4) DMV time to change registration, insurance change, reprogramming home link, etc.;
(5) leg work/research/PIA of even just simple mods to get the car where it is acceptable (tint/PPF) not to mention more complex/expensive ones (wheels/exhaust/tune)
(6) leg work/research/PIA of demodding existing car (either to maximize value or, in the case of a tuned/decatted car, because you have to).

These are just the ones off the top of my head ...

Is any one of these a deal breaker? No. Is some of it even fun (buying the new car, researching the new car, etc.)? Possibly yes.

But at the end of the day I prefer my existing routine most of the time and things that break up my existing routine I consider a "hassle." And changing cars most definitely breaks up my routine.

Having said that, I bought my first new car ever when I bought my 2020 BRZ in September 2020. Despite that, I did all of the above when I switched to the 2022 in April 2022 (after starting the process in January). That was a case where I thought the hassle was well worth it. But I don't plan on doing that again anytime soon ...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote