Old 04-14-2020, 01:20 AM   #117
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Oh car looking lovely as always! Yeah hopefully things improve soon and life goes back to normal.

I'm actually in a dilemma....and noticed you got the STI Performance muffler.

So for the WRX STI, there is also a performance muffler.....I'm not sure if i shoud go with that or go Fujitsubo Authorize R again.....

I just don't want something very loud, and it seems like most exhaust are loud on the WRX STI...

So that being said, I see you love the STI muffler.....but i can't see the pictures, they all down haha
Hey! Long time no see. Personally I would go with the STI performance muffler, because STI knows the car better and adds to the OEM look and feel. Fujitsubo is a nice brand , but they are building exhausts for almost every car manufacturer. Japanese cars, German cars. I heard in the past that the STI muffler is also build by Fujitsubo, but I am not really sure because there are some STI videos showing their own manufacturing process. If the information holds and Fujitsubo is the real manufacturer, then I believe that the requirements and specifications were provided by STI.

About sound levels the STI performance muffler in the BRZ is not very loud. There is a really LOUD growling when you first start the engine from cold, but after the noise goes down to almost factory levels. I was seeing the same behaviour with factory performance exhausts (Porsche) when I was living in Germany. You could hear the exhaust in the whole square, but just for a fraction of the second when the engine was started. A louder noise appears also when you engage 1st gear in town in start and stop traffic or during hard acceleration from 2k to 3k RPM. In these cases you'll be definitely noticed by other drivers, but as I said it is for a small fraction of time and then it goes almost to factory levels! The loud noise is not only about the noise level, but also about the sound frequency with a nice deep bass sound. After 3k RPM the bass sound disappears and changes to a more race frequency, but again only during hard acceleration. Otherwise you might think that it is a factory exhaust. On the highway and above 3k RPM it is a bit louder, but the difference from factory levels is again small and it is not really unpleasant. After all you want to hear something, right?

On the performance side there is no change at all. I measured some acceleration times (20-60 mph in 2nd gear) and the before and after times were exactly the same! The only difference I can see is a bit better launch which helps a lot with my lightweight flywheel. If I measured a 0-60 mph time, then I believe I would see some very small improvement ...

Last edited by nikitopo; 04-14-2020 at 01:52 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (04-15-2020)