CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesgreenlights View Post
Greetings all.

I've spent hours trying to find a solution to what should be a simple problem. My mechanic says it is about time to replace the brakes on my 2020 Toyota 86.

He suggested Wagner or Bosch. He ordered Wagner pads and rotors which was OK with me until I learned about the different models of Wagner pads. Before the installation I discovered the Wagner OEx Car version which seemed to be the ideal selection for spirited driving.

Unfortunately, Wagner made a corporate decision to make OEx car pads available for 90% of modern cars -- excluding the BRZ and 86. The Wagner ThermoQuiet and Quickstop models will fit my 86 and appear to be great for non-sport cars but I live in an area with pristine, low traffic beautiful mountain roads and I, naturally, like to open the 86 on occasion.

Amazon prices the Bosch rotors and pads total $207. The same Wagner products are priced at $226. Great prices for quality products.

I'm not in a position to spend $2k+ for Brembos. I've looked at Akebono pads but my understanding is that one should buy pads and rotors from the same manufacturer. I can't seem to find Akebono rotors.

QUESTIONS

Bosch seems to have pads that are geared more for my driving style. Should I cut my losses with the Wagner and go with the Bosch?

Is my opinion regarding the Wagner ThermoQuiet and Quickstop pads misguided? It would be most unfortunate to end this story with a large oak tree providing my braking solution.

Would it be imprudent to use Akebono pads with Wagner rotors?

My budget for this project is about $500-600. My mechanic said he'll install any brakes for $160 (he'll only warrant Wagner and Bosch) so I've got up to $440 to work with. I'd like to stay with an established brake manufacturer. Is anyone aware of a company offering exceptional products within my budget?

Apologies for the lengthy post. I strongly suspect that most forum members are not nearly as knowledgeable as the many brilliant members in this section. My hope is that this thread can benefit the great masses that are struggling with similar issues.

In all events, thanks in advance.
What exactly are you doing with your car? How many miles did your factory pads last you? Do you have photos or measurements of the pads showing their remaining thickness?

This will better guide any recommendation I make.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (03-10-2023)