View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #51
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
Any experienced opinions about the NGK Coil Pack compared to OEM (Denso???).
Curious about these as well. Have had nothing but good experience with NGK over my decades wrenching on cars.

Recently got some P0301 codes when pushing into the 7k range. It's intermittent though. I got one a week ago, then one a week later. I pulled the code, cleared it, and haven't had it return. But CELs are always bothersome to me, so I'm starting to chase this one down beyond just pressing reset.

Spoke to a tuning shop, Surgeline in PDX area, and they recommend only OEM coils in their experience. I thought that was odd, but I did mention my car's a daily and not a track car. I'm going to check the coils this weekend and maybe swap one and three to see if I can get the signal to move with the coil pack if I can reproduce it at all. But first, I'll try the pin tweak trick as that will be really simple and, from the sounds of it, it may be all that's needed.

I'm at 106k on a HKS SC system that's been on since ~85k. This is very first CELs in the vehicle. I recall my 01 Outback having ignition issues about this mileage in much the same fashion of throwing misfires when trying to goose it hard. So it may just be time for new coil pack(s). OEMs are kinda spendy compared to other options, and I like NGK products historically so curious for any feedback there.

The high performance models are even more spendy, but if I end up needing to go with IP, Delicious or Cusco in the end, I will. Not there yet, have some more troubleshooting to do.

From reading this entire thread, I gather the 13-14 harness changes in the 15 forward models addressed this issue with better connectors. If this thread is on track, that's what I'm interpreting out of it anyway, and the pin tweak is likely all that's required to gain a better connection to the unit.

I'll dig more this weekend and share my results to contribute to the information on this one. Being mine is intermittent, I don't expect much more than a pin tweak this weekend and another try winding it up high on a hard pull to see what it does.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (09-09-2022), jflogerzi (09-10-2022), Ultramaroon (09-08-2022)