View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #138
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZgrl88 View Post
I never really experienced a paddle shifter before when driving...except one time in my friend's X5 for about a mile or two. I feel like I would be intimated by this feature but once I'd get the hang of it things would be good. I just don't see the point, rather drive a manual. What is do you guys think is the ultimate best way to go? I have no room to judge until I get familiar with both options.
Like @ExWhyZer0 said, there is no "best" in absolute terms; you have to decide what works best for *you*. See if your friend will let you take the X5 for a longer drive. Test drive some other cars with paddles. There are lots of them these days; lol one I know offhand is the VW Eos, or the BMW E92 M3. Also, find someone to teach you to drive stick. A few people on here have reported that *dealers* have offered to teach them (no kidding!) when that was what was holding them back from buying this or that model. Or find some local meets and get to know people; someone might be interested in teaching you.

edit: the "point" of paddles is (a) that's what race cars have so it must be cool; (b) assuming an amazing awesome transmission, shifts can be faster; (c) you can pick your own gears without having to learn to work the clutch; (d) in some cars (e.g. the Nissan 370z) they build in rev matching so you can be an expert without having to actually learn heel-toe. There might be other reasons that other people can think of to add.

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
ExWhyZer0 (10-23-2012), JERZgrl88 (10-23-2012)