Old 11-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #40
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I reckon I never will understand how you and others ( @Tcoat ) pull off using the Internet so much during work hours.

Back in my working days, communication devices were used solely for business .......
I'm a traveling auditor based out of my own house, but much of my work is done in the field. I set my own schedule. My manager is 1100 miles away in a different time zone. As long as I keep turning in audits, stay on track to meet my quota and keep my phone and email on during business hours (or at least respond timely when I get an email), my manager leaves me alone. I can actually go up to three weeks without talking with her and months at a time without seeing her. I'm her ideal employee, being very low maintenance while meeting or exceeding my targets. And all of our managers are low-drama and not huge on office politics, at least compared to other places I have worked.

Best job I've ever had.

However, when I'm on the road, it's often balls to the wall to get everything done in the time allotted. It's not unusual for me to work a sixteen hour day finishing one audit and prepping the next. It's not unusual for me to work at night. It's not unusual for me to work on weekends. There have been weeks where I've already put in 40 hours by Wednesday. This was one of those weeks, and quite honestly I don't feel bad at all about goofing off on Friday.

So what you'll often see from me on this board are periods of intense activity interspersed with periods of no activity or just quick one liners. When I'm not here, I'm probably working. Hard. I wouldn't wish for it any other way.

Probably the worst job I've had put me in a cubicle for 40-50 hours per week with a relatively light workload but among people who loved office politics. I used to doze off while still typing in my spreadsheets, then wake up and have to figure out how far back I needed to undo. I moved a plant next to my cubicle in my supervisor's eyeline so he wouldn't see me snoozing. I bought at $1 bag of plastic army men and put them in the plant in a pitched battle against a $1 bag of plastic dinosaurs for my own amusement. He saw them and nearly lost his shit. I hung my mouse up by the cord to let the kinks relax out of it, and he nearly lost his shit. I put a small dorm sized refrigerator in my cube for use by my entire pod for drinks and lunches, and he not only lost his shit, but he ran an inquiry chain all the way up corporate to the Director of Risk Management to determine whether I was allowed to do that. Any time he'd call me into his office, I'd say, "Uh oh, am I in for a beating?" And he'd nearly lose his shit.

I hated that job so bad I eventually just quit, packed up my junk and moved to New Orleans. Len lost his shit when I told him. How could anybody just quit and move to New Orleans without a written plan including goals, objectives and milestones by which to gauge progress?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-10-2017), Tcoat (11-10-2017), ToySub1946 (11-10-2017)