Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyTaylor View Post
Hey guys new to the flat 4 world, here's my story, I just picked up a 2014 FRS monagram edition 30k on the clock. So I've had her for about 3 weeks now. It's lowered on bc coils, running 18" with 265s front and rear, "fat bitches" so I've noticed while driving in 3rd and 4th, around 3k rpm there's a hum not at 2900 or 3100 but right there at 3, I've got stock exhaust and intake, I'm just wondering if it's a normal thing with the flat 4 or if it's maybe something else. I know very little about this car, but from what I can tell it has been taken very well of. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
It helps to provide more specifics about the noise.

High frequency? Low?

Source of sound? Front? Transmission? Rear? Make sure it isn't from the thin, poorly installed plastic trim vibrating or rubbing together. This is the entire car, by the way.

Any vibration through the peddles? The steering wheel?

Does the car stop and start? Does it track straight? Is it happy at redline?

In my opinion, if a hum is your only concern, then you have the best car in the world. Every now and then a thread pops up asking 'is my car okay cuz it does x, y, and z.' The answer is invariably yes. Just be grateful that this is your only concern as it pertains to noises.

In the future, if you start to hear bangs, rattles, clunks, and thunks, or dunks, kerunks, spanks, sperts, and blurts, just don't panic.

TL;DR Just turn up the radio.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-10-2017), Tcoat (11-10-2017)