NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Ugm, is there really anything as a "fully depreciated $100K car"? Or even a fully depreciated $10K car for that matter?

I suppose at some point all cars bottom out and even trend up, but in most cases what you are talking about at that point is a 30 or 40 year old car that has some value as a collectible.

Once a car reaches the point where it is not depreciating (which means its value keeps up with inflation and stays flat or is appreciating in value) it is (to me at least) no longer a car but a museum piece.

A personal example, I would love to own a daily driveable MK1 MR2 again, and have seen several low mileage excellent examples come on the market in the past few years for what I would consider a reasonable price. I can't bring myself to buy it though because I know I would drive it like it was intended to be driven, and that just seems nearly wasteful at this point. I guess at some point I'll have to do restomod on one just to satisfy my itch while at the same time not destroying something that should be preserved.
I have a theory that no matter what year Jeep Wrangler you own it will never be worth less than $4500. That is a fully depreciated car in my mind. You could invest in an air cooled $100k Porsche 911 and it will appreciate.