View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
eman11500

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Heavy "Shuttering" When Starting in 1st Gear

Hello all,

EDIT: Here's the video link. Can take a better video tomorrow if requested.

New account here, but I've owned the car since late 2019. Recently I have been having an issue that is driving me absolutely crazy and I can't seem to find a topic relating (or I'm just dumb) to it on this forum.

When sitting still at idle, I shift into first gear, and upon trying to start accelerating the car shutters pretty heavily starting out. It almost seems as if something is locking up, but once I'm moving more than 1 or 2 miles per hour the issue disappears.

I know this seems like I just don't know how to drive a manual, but I have been driving manual transmissions for the better part of my driving career and have not had this issue arise until recently. It's to the point that no matter what RPM or how slowly I leave out the clutch, it happens regardless. All other gears are unaffected and it is only when starting out in 1st.

I recently had the throw-out bearing go out in the past 6 months (did not frag), so I had a new OEM clutch kit installed by a non-dealer mechanic. Other than that, there has been nothing that has needed to be replaced transmission wise.
Car was bought at 65k miles and is now sitting just over 100k.
I can provide a video tomorrow if needed.

I'm beginning to think I'm the problem at this point. Please help (or tell me what I've done wrong). Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks Guys,
Eric

Last edited by eman11500; 09-14-2021 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Included Video
eman11500 is offline   Reply With Quote