Old 11-27-2019, 01:57 AM   #63443
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,823 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Well, I'm feeling pretty bummed out. I go to the dive bar a couple days a week. There is usually a table full of guys my age. I sit at the bar. I can hear them talking about hunting, fishing, all things I have done. I buy them all drinks when I play the slot machines and win, but still they don't ask me to join. No one has bought me a drink. I try to casually join in with no luck. I'm still the guy from California.

So I just play the slot machine and leave. Now I know how the new kids at the high school felt.
Well, too bad you feel bummed out -

I would bet that most of that group were born and raised in those parts, have barely a HS education, are blue collar workers or laborers, are still working with retirement 10-15 years away, drive an older pickup, are barely getting by paycheck to paycheck and have been buddies most of their lives. Some may be related one way or another.

This is what I can imagine those good old boys around the table are thinking and saying as you enter and after you leave.

here comes the hot shot from California

I hear he paid a handsome sum for that place he bought, some say he paid cash, paid twice as much as it sold for last time, them Californians are driving the house prices up around here so as WE can hardly afford to buy a house

ya, you see all those fancy sports cars he drives - what useless vehicles

fucking show off

pass over some of those bar nuts

He says he's retired - and he ain't no older than we are

Wonder how he came into all that money - most likely he inherited it

Comes in here and sticks some money into those machines and WINS, then buys us all drinks - what a show off

I'll bet he has never done a hard, honest days work, in his whole life

NOW, if I have the group profiled right, how do you deal with the situation?

Over the years I have interacted with people from all over the US, from slack jawed, mouth breathing, inbreds from Arkansas to wealthy, highly educated snobs from the East coast.

In the words of my very smart wife, "you aren't going to change them, so, don't even try."

My advice is to just be yourself and experience other groups. Soon you will find a group of people that you will feel more comfortable being around.

Oh yes, I'd suggest you quit buying them drinks, that just fuels their perception of you.

humfrz
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JD001 (11-27-2019), p1l0t (11-27-2019), Sapphireho (11-29-2019), soundman98 (11-27-2019), spike021 (11-27-2019), Ultramaroon (11-27-2019)