View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #70
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
it will be very interesting to see what direction they take the twins.

during the zupra's development, tada-san was of course asked by his superiors how the zupra would differ from the 86...and now that the zupra is out being an auto only torque monster 2 seater, you would think they would want to keep the 86 as the low powered, lightweight & analog 2+2 to help retain separate identities. with how divided enthusiasts were about the twin's power, if they make it too identical to the current gen, I think it would probably flop as it wouldn't change any of the haters' minds and it is difficult to say how many 1st gen owners would also go for a 2nd gen especially if the specs stayed relatively the same.

so originally i would have thought it was asinine to think more power could come to the 2nd gen but seeing how expensive the 4 cyl zupra starts in japan (nearly double the cost of an 86!) it seems like there is a big enough gap between the two for a more powerful 86 to exist at least in most major markets.

my prediction is that they are going to keep as much of the existing chassis, same wheelbase and so forth to keep development costs down (plus think we can all agree the chassis is nearly perfect), redesign the exterior/interior and spend the majority of the money on developing a 2nd hi-po engine that gets a turbo to finally shut all the power spoiled brats in the world up ^^
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-28-2019)