View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #1022
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
The best way to solve the cam timing is to start with smoothed Intake and Exhaust tables. Then increase the valve overlap by moving the column contents one column to the left. Keep doing this one column at a time until power decreases, then back off till you reach best power. I've found a spacing of 3-1 for Intake and 2-1 for Exhaust works best for me.

Best power is a delicate balance between containing the expansion to extract max torque, and yet allowing the exhaust to exit without impeding flow. Power can be lost through impeding the flow, and also by releasing the charge before max torque has been extracted. Take a look at the spacing between columns and rows. I experimented a bit before settling on the spacing you see above. I'll be starting with the same tables when I start tuning for E85.
Good advice Ill talk with my tuner. Its likely optimized already. He has tuned so many hundreds of cars (Jamesm) that he has an optimized basemap for practically each header brand IIRC. In my case Borla.