View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #104
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
:happy0180: No offense taken. Your prejudice isn't hard to see but ya seem completely aware of it.

However, ya may want to look up the definition of competition. Both figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics are incredibly competitive.. Hell, they are olympic sports. More then can be said for any form of motor sports.

You seem either intimidated or confused about the sport of drifting. Which is understandable, especially if you don't 'get it'. Change the parameters of the racing line, the carry speed, the braking points, the precision & accuracy of going around a race track and translate them into the 'drifting paradigm' and there are a lot of similarities.
I've been following drifting for many years, before the release of Initial D and far before Formula Drift was even thought of in this country. Nothing about intimidates me or confuses me about it; I understand it completely. But what you described about changing racing lines, braking points, and precision and accuracy happen every weekend at Grand Prix tracks around the world, and very few drifters in Japan and worldwide can count themselves among those that race on them, and none can be mentioned in the same vein as Schumacher, Loeb, McNish, Fellows, etc. all masters of what you've listed.

BTW Bridge and Chess are Olympic sports, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
Tyler McQuarrie is probably the top American road racer right now. There are quite a few Formula D drivers that actually excel in professional rally and road race series.
Yeah, Tyler McQuarrie is a decent driver, but one win at Long Beach doesn't make him a top driver, and far from the top of the list among American road racers: Scott Pruett, Boris Said, Johnny O'Connell, Joey Hand, Bill Auberlen... I could probably rattle off another 10-20 before we get to McQuarrie. As for the other Formula D drivers: Millen doesn't come close to matching the skill, talent, and championships of his father (Rod) and uncle (Steve) on dirt and asphalt. Hübinette and Foust don't have regular WRC rides. They're all the best stunt driver in Hollywood, but average drivers at best on the track.