Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
To me, I don't really care if the value of the mods are covered... it's all about not having coverage dropped at the time of a claim because of a mod.
This really seems to depend upon the company and type of policy that each individual has.
When I first bought the car and thought it needed FI based on what I had read (I had only done the one test drive at that point) I contacted my insurance company and had a long discussion on coverage. They were very clear that they did not care what I did to the car it would not change the base coverage. The guy even said "doesn't matter if you drop a V8 in there the base coverage doesn't change". He said that the cost of coverage was based far more on the driver than what was done to the car. There was zero risk (according to him at that point in time) of the car not being covered due to any performance mods that were done. He did say that any high level performance mods should be reported though but it was more so that the insurance company had them on record.

Now... the clincher was that the base premiums only covered the value of the car in it's stock state. If I sank $10K into mods and wrecked it I would be out that $10K. He said that if I wanted to cover any modification costs then they could just tack a rider onto my policy. I don't recall the exact amount but it was actually pretty cheap. Something like $20 a year for every extra $5K in value.

The whole thing is to check what your contract says. If it outright bans any form of performance mods then you could be out of luck. If it has restrictions but permits some or does not reference them at all (as mine reads) then all is fine.
wparsons (04-27-2018)