Old 12-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #23
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
What do you make of the 100k Edelbrock oil change interval? Seems sketch to me tbh.
Harrop has the same interval. I believe Teslas has the same interval. I'm sure you could shorten the life of the oil by heat cycling the oil more and at higher temps, so if that is the case then you could change it more often.

I think a take away is that this isn't engine oil that has fuel and spent gases being mixed into it all the time. While it gets hot, it isn't coating the lining of cylinders that are under extreme heat from compression and combustion. This isn't thick gear oil that sees a lot of high pressures and operates against surfaces that aren't machined with the highest tolerances or finishes, and gear oil has a 60k interval. This isn't brake oil that has a 30k interval that is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture.

The Rotrex system on the JRSC uses a set of bearings operating in a planetary arrangement, and the RPMs get to 90,000 on these units, compared to 20,000 on the Eaton TVS 1320. There is a lot of contact area in the oil chamber, so for those reasons, the JRSC comes with an oil cooler for the supercharger, as well as, an oil filter and an oil reservoir, so it holds considerably more oil than the TVS units and requires more attention and considerations (see bottom image for diagram on the oiling system).

Again, the Eaton TVS SCs have fine toothed spur gears that are isolated from the environment and have the resistance of the boost pressure and inertia of the lobs against the thrust of the drive belt/engine, so wear on the gear surfaces might be minimum.

Note: pictures are not of the Eation TVS 1320, but are used for demonstration.
Attached Images

CSG Mike (12-20-2020), grumpysnapper (12-20-2020)