View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #251
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Economy of scale is real and measurable.
I can sell you two hundred rotors at $500 each or two million of the exact same thing for $5 each. The more of something that is made the cheaper it can be done for.
Sort of.

It seems to me that the 2.4 having beefier internals could have more than 217hp NA with a few tweaks. I think the turbo isn't there so much to add hp but to boost efficiency in their bigger and heavier models but in the much lighter and more aerodynamic 86 platform the efficiency would already be there so boosting the power without a turbo shouldn't be much of a stretch at all. In fact, more power and a better torque curve should actually make it even that much more efficient almost negating the fleet fuel economy requirements hit that you'd think it will see.

FWIW if I got one it would be with the auto, it's already the easiest car to drive that I've ever owned and an auto would make it more pleasant in a bunch of ways that my "old" self will appreciate. It would also allow my kids to drive it whereas with the stick they can't because they're so short they can't put the clutch all the way in without being jammed into the steering wheel. I wonder if this kind of thing is a factor they'd consider when deciding which transmissions to offer. Is the market for the car aging or staying (mostly) younger and has the car gone mainstream enough to consider a wider user base...