Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmequickly View Post
*Fires. Plural.

There have been more than one documented on NHTSA

I would also like to point out that Subaru's have been affected as well. You can check out the same NHTSA site under Subaru BRZ and find a handful of blown BRZ engines post recall as well. Also, if you do a quick google search you can find a BRZ's with the same issue as FR-S' post recall.

SO, there may be more to it than failure to follow instructions, an added warning, or shitty labor.

Like ermax stated, it could also be in conjunction with a design flaw, or a design oversight. Maybe the oil channels are smaller than previous designs or smaller than what should be the tolerated specification for this particular engine set up/design which in turn causes high oil pressure when blocked by certain sized particulates wheres if the oil channels were larger the same sized particulates would freely flow to the filter screen?

You are basically stating and in agreement with what I stated earlier. We know the J02 recall and changing the springs is not the root cause, however whatever is being done during the recall is contributing to the problem we now see.

I wouldn't go as far as to state that we know 100% without a doubt the entire mechanism and root cause of the problem, but we have enough evidence to make a few guesses and understand an overview of what is going on.
BRZs are not the other Subarus I was referring to. They have the same engine as the FRSs. The others do not and have not had issues since they don not require opening the engine to the same extent to do the change and there is no sealant involved.

There were at least 30 know spun bearings on the 2013s well before the recall ever happened. These were on brand new unopened engines. I preached then that it was due to blocked oil passages right from the factory but nobody wanted to believe it. Now THAT would be an opportunity for a class action.
bcj (11-06-2019), Dadhawk (11-06-2019), gravitylover (11-06-2019)