View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #20
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Glad to see in this thread I'm not one of the oldest people here...not like it matters to me. I'm just a hair under 50.

I really feel this is the most fun car in my price range. I played with the idea of a used Cayman, but these days it would mean a 987 generation, for my budget, with the "Porsche tax" on maintenance vs a brand new car with a warranty and lower cost of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
please understand where most of that is coming from though-- for the past 8-ish years, we've had countless new users that within their first 5 posts is

"HEI GUYZ, i just bought a brand new brz, i'm gonna widebody it, and put a bbk on it, sway bars, and cut the springs, and get the bestest tires known to man on it! i've never been to a track, but i'm gonna start going every other day, and twice on sunday! what's the cheapest wide body and bbk kit i can get? i found this ebay bbk kit for $500, will that work? be easy on ur boi, i ain't got lots oh cheddah lying around after buying my new baby!"

if you're at the experience level, and in a lot of new users case, the money level to actually get and make use of better-performing gear, you're ahead of what we've come to expect-- so as a forum, we've shifted to just providing the answer of "hold on, just get on the track first and figure out how capable you and the car are first before throwing your entire inheritance at it"

normally, we never hear back from those people, especially after they realize how they need to pay to go to the track every time...
Great post!

I'd also add that many people jump down the modding rabbit hole without learning how their car behaves in its stock form for how they drive it. I received wise advice once to learn the car first and then start making mods based on what you learn with that platform. That is the main reason I'm going the run my BRZ in a stock autocross class this season. I've got a few seasons under my belt now an would happily drop a set of wider wheels and 200TW tires and do OK. Instead I'll stay stock, learn the platform and then start a few mild mods for next season.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-01-2022)