Old 06-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
Hi everyone, I've got a question regarding my clutch operation. My car currently has about 3500 miles, and I've noticed since the beginning that it makes rather loud noise when you release the clutch pedal. This is the video I've recorded today after a 20 minute drive, the car is fully warmed up. When I release the pedal, halfway through the pedal travel, at the engagement point there's this loud clunk. You can also feel the impact through the pedal.

It also happens when you are in 1st gear and release the pedal to crawl couple of feet without touching the accelerator. I think that it also occurs when you shift 1st to 2nd at low speed around 3K RPM and release the clutch. No matter how smooth you are, there's always that jerkiness as if you dump the clutch. All other shifts are very smooth without any jerkiness.

Is that normal or there's some issue with the clutch operation?
I reckon that isn't normal (at least my car doesn't do that).

If your car is under warranty, I suggest you tale it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.

If you are wanting to do something yourself, you might considering lubricating the clutch fork (maybe it's dry).

Quick & dirty: from @Ultramaroon

1. Detach the slave cylinder. Leave the hydraulics alone.
2. Remove the dust boot from the fork.
3. Reach down behind the fork with a finger and feel for the pivot. It's going to be tight because of the retaining clip.
4. Squeeze a decent glob of Lucas Red & Tacky #2 in there with your finger.
5. Jiggle the fork to distribute the grease as much as possible. It'll work in more on its own.
6. Put a dab of grease in the top pivot where the slave pin goes.
7. Reassemble.

I hope you get er fixed.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (06-16-2021), MJones_RB (09-01-2021)