View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #108
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I don't understand why everyone keeps saying the issue is only related to shifting.
I don’t understand why you are claiming that EVERYONE keeps saying the issue is ONLY related to shifting.

If you’re alluding to ME … I have NEVER so much as hinted that this is the case.

Shifting is only ONE of a number of POTENTIAL contributing factors. Shifting is under the driver’s control and may be modified to alleviate a problem until a more comprehensive solution is found. No more, no less.

Quote:
My seals are blown
Are you certain? Do you have definitive proof?

I agree that it sounds as though they may be, but haven’t others experienced similar symptoms and yet had intact seals? Sometimes we arrive at false conclusions… (That’s not an accusation. )

Quote:
and I've never shifted from 3rd into 4th at redline,
Okay.

Quote:
that's way over the speed limit where I live.
You’re a wonderfully responsible citizen, but rather than highlight this non-issue repeatedly, why not focus on the relevant technical issues? WHY have some engines blown? Is there any relevance to US as we daily drive our cars on our local streets and tracks?

Quote:
However I have on many occasion taken a rural curvy road at 5k+ in 2nd and 3rd rpm letting on/off throttle for several miles. And I am sure many others have done this too.
Me, too. And THIS is useful input, and I agree with you that it is worth pondering. I have wondered the very same thing. Did you note my comment about there being nothing “magical” about 5200 rpm and upshifting? I’m thinking that you and I are thinking similarly; it’s not merely about upshifting, but simply generating engine knock under load, especially (I suspect) PROLONGED load conditions that then result in “over-heating.” Think Nurburgring rental BRZs, for instance.

I dunno, I’m just trying to understand like everyone else.

Quote:
This is not reckless driving.
Of course not; but reckless or not, recklessness has nothing to do with the proximate cause of engine problems and failures.

Quote:
The fact that the nurburgring rental firms have completely dropped this platform is worldwide news
Well… maybe not.

Maybe it should be, though. I share your concerns. But mostly I just want to know whether any of this is relevant to ME and the way I drive MY car, responsible or otherwise. I don’t want it to break; I especially don’t want my new car to blow up. Things like that upset me.

Quote:
and this issue needs addressed. Its a huge red flag.
It is one of many, I agree.

Quote:
I stood by with the CEL issue , was the first to publicly post that a simple ECU flash will fix and not to panick. But this DI issue is a serious problem. But I am seriously looking at replacing the seals myself and getting out from under this car before word spreads and resale tanks.
Okay.

I’m not concerned about meaningfully diminished resale value. But, who knows what the future holds? My crystal ball malfunctioned decades ago. Have you got yours up and running again?

Quote:
I waiting 4 years following this car's development but a low milage MR-S or S2k sounds so good right now.
Yeah? Cool!

I love my S2k. I might consider selling it. I keep thinking I’d like a Porsche, but I’ve been unable to reconcile the $30,000+ upcharge to move to a new Boxster. My S2000 is just so good.

Today my wife chased me to Road America, she driving our Mazdaspeed3 (second one), and me ahead of her in the S2000. She said she could hear my exhaust.

"How'd it sound?" I asked.

"Anemic," she said.

"WHAT?!" I exclaimed. "What are you SAYING? Are you trying to say that you'd rather hear the wail of a Porsche flat-six?" I asked.

She smiled...

You interested? It’s like new! Really! It’s red, around 11,000 miles, bought new and carefully broken in, ALWAYS gently driven until oil temp is up, never in rain or snow, no winters, no pets, no smoking, no speed-shifting … you’d love it, it’s the one you dream of! It still even smells new...

Regal, you’ve made a lot of good points about our cars and about this problem. I share many of your concerns.

Take care, fellow BRZ/FRS owner, and I hope your FRS experience improves soon.

And I hope my BRZ doesn’t break.

Last edited by Porsche; 08-02-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote