Old 11-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #2020
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

That said, there is some magic associated with the Mustang convertible going back to it's roots almost 60 years ago. It has nothing to do with being a muscle car, because for the most part, it isn't. It's that "pony car" heritage of riding the open road with the top down and just enjoying the cruise. It has a carefree attitude about it you don't get from huge HP or smoking tires.
You totally get it @Dadhawk!

It's not about the "numbers". So many people are obsessed with 'the numbers', 0-60, 1/4 mile times, lap times around the Nurburgring, horsepower, etc. etc. etc. Most of those people never generate those 'numbers' in a car themselves, but just spew quotes from some car magazine or reviews, to brag to their friends or strangers.

Who cares?

What matters to me is how it feels to drive a car. I don't care about the 'numbers', and I'm not likely to be setting Nurburgring lap records or drag racing strangers on the street (at least not since I got out of high school). I just care about how much fun a car is to drive on the street (or more like twisty country roads), how it feels to my butt in the seat.

If you own a BRZ/86, you get this to some extent. These are not 'numbers' cars. These are fun cars that feel great to drive regardless of how the numbers might compare to other cars.

If you're truly a hard-core racer and actually spend a lot of time on a track, then it's a different situation and the numbers certainly matter and make the difference between winning or losing. But truth be told, most of us are armchair racers.

It's the same with the Mustang. Of course there are cars with better numbers, more hp, faster 0-60, 1/4 mile, whatever. So what? Like you said, the Mustang is the iconic pony car. It means more than just bragging rights to some ridiculous number. It's just the fun of going down the road with the top down, in a car that looks good and has more than enough power to push you back into the seat and exceed the driving capabilities of most people.

What more could you want?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-11-2020), JesseG (11-11-2020), RetroRacer (11-11-2020), soundman98 (11-11-2020)